Article Title: The Job Search that Time Forgot – Vol 1
Author Byline: CareerAlley
Author Website: http://CareerAlley.com
“No man goes before his time — unless the boss leaves early.” – Groucho Marx
I was walking through the train station the other day and I thought that I saw someone that I knew but had not seen in 30 years. As soon as I got home I looked up this person on the internet and I had quite a shock. The person I saw in the train station was what my friend looked like 30 years ago. When I saw their picture on the internet they had (of course) aged 30 years. This was a memory that time forgot. So what’s the point? Are you looking for a job using the same techniques you used 5, 10 or 20 years ago? If you answer is yes, you are in the job search that time forgot. It is time that you updated your job search to the 21st century. First, the basics:
- Top 17 Free Email Services – Email Accounts – Now I sincerely doubt that if you are reading this you need an email account, but you should consider using a separate email account for your job search. This will help you focus on job related emails. Be careful about your email name (like “email@example.com” is probably not a good choice). Rather than list all of the known free email services, use the link to the left to get a list (from about.com) of the top email account. So where can you get another free email account? Take a look at this list.
- Business Social Networks – Some would say this is an oxymoron, but it is a necessity for job search these days. The top site (as far as I can tell) is LinkedIn. There are many more sites (see the next link). Don’t join all of them, but do select one or two.
- 5 Tips for the Modern Job Search – A few pointers on “the modern job search”
- Successful Online Job Search – It’s not just about knowing about and using the tools, it’s about how to use the tools. This article, from EzineMark.com, helps with that in a short, concise article.
- PROFILE OF A MODERN JOB SEEKER: YIFEI ZHANG – This article is definitely worth the read. Not only is the advice great, but it is real life stuff.
- Using Technology for a Successful Work Search – A great place to start, this article is from iowaworkfore.org, provides some basics for leveraging basic technology and includes some related embedded links on topics like internet resources, email tips, resume preparation and more. There are additional links on the left hand side of the page that you might find useful.
Good luck in your search.
Article courtesy of the Recruiting Blogswap, a content exchange service sponsored by CollegeRecruiter.com, a leading site for college students looking for internships and recent graduates searching for entry level jobs and other career opportunities.
Learn how to get more job offers. Click Here to get expert job searching advice and access to 1000s of local jobs.